One year free admission to monthly events and hear directly from extraordinary women in film, television and media (normally a $10 charge applies to non-members or $8 for student non-members to attend each monthly event)!
Access renowned professionals in the industry. Previous panels have included independent theater owners, entertainment law attorneys, film festival programming directors, film distributors, and fundraising directors as well as Award winning and renowned filmmakers, artists, editors and media pioneers including:
- Filmmaker Judy Irving (The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill)
- Filmmakers Emiko Omori & Wendy Slick
(Passion and Power: The Technology of Orgasm)
- Editor Vivien Hillgrove (Heart of the Sea, Senorita Extraviada)
- Producer Debbie Brubaker (Swing, Dopamine)
- Screenwriter Janet Peoples (12 Monkeys, Nico)
- Filmmaker and founder of the Webby Awards, Tiffany Shlain
- Emmy award winning producer/director Dorothy Fadiman
- Filmmaker Deborah Koons Garcia (The Future of Food)
- Filmmakers Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine (Ballets Russes)
- Filmmaker/artist Lynn Hershman Leeson (Conceiving Ada, Teknolust, Strange Culture, Women Art Revolution)
- Justine Shapiro (Promises)
- Filmmakers Kristy Guevara-Flanagan and Dawn Valadez
(Going on 13)
- Leading film festival programmers and film curators including:
Zoe Elton and Janis Plotkin (Mill Valley Film Festival), Nancy Fishman (San Francisco International Jewish Film Festival), Anita Monga (Seattle International Film Festival) and Lois Vossen (ITVS)
- New digital media distribution leaders including: Sara Pollack from YouTube's Screening Room, Danae Ringelmann founder of IndieGoGo.com, Vanessa Arteaga from Jaman.com, Tom Hicks from Caachi.com
- Heads of the Bay Area Film Commissions and leading media funding organizations
- Scarlett Shepard, Founder and Executive Director of the San Francisco Women's Film Festival
- Pioneers in the field of Social Media
- The Leading Women of Pixar Animation Studios featuring: Pixar's first woman Director, Brenda Chapman, and long time Producer Darla Anderson (A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc., Cars, & the upcoming Toy Story 3) and other accomplished women Producers, Artists and Technical Directors
- Tracey Swedlow, Founder/Editor of Interactive TV Today
OTHER MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS:
- Screen your works-in-progress. Our members' screening and Shorts Film Showcase provide opportunities to show your works and receive feedback from professional mediamakers. See more information on our most recent Short Film Showcase in our Programs Section.
- Listing in the Women in Film & TV International database
- Listing in BAWIFM's online 'Talent Directory'
- Listing of your productions on BAWIFM's online 'In Productions' Page
- Opportunity to run and vote for BAWIFM's Board of Directors
- Opportunity to appear in the MEMBERS IN THE NEWS Section of the BAWIFM Quarterly Newsletter
- Invitations to members-only workshops and special events
- Discounts/special offers from participating vendors including: (see full list on Member Discounts Page)
Comtel Pro Media, 15% discount
JCX Expendables, 10% discount
Point.360, 15% off economy rate
Propville.com, six-month free membership
Berke Sound, 20% discount off of rate card
- Legal Services - $30 for initial 30-minute attorney consultation; special BAWIFM hourly rate for services thereafter.
- Opportunity to apply for and receive special grant awards through the WIF/GM Alliance
- Discounted rates on California Lawyers for the Arts Workshops - BAWIFM is a member organization with California Lawyers for the Arts. This membership entitles four (4) BAWIFM members to attend any Calawyer seminar at the member price for that seminar.
- Sell Your Film through BAWIFM.ORG - Link from the BAWIFM Shop directly to wherever your film's DVD/VHS is sold. When your film is first posted, we will make an announcement to Chicks-Chat and again in the next monthly update. See our website for more information about this benefit.
- Letter of Support - Are you trying to get funding for your film? Are you trying to gain credibility to gain access to your subjects? As a member of BAWIFM, you may submit a 1-2 page proposal for your project to the BAWIFM Board of Directors for a letter of support to include in your materials. See the BAWIFM website for more information about this benefit.
- Discounts to various workshops, conferences events and co-presentations throughout the year. Recent examples in have included:
- On October 17 and 18th, BAWIFM partnered with the organizers of THE CONVERSATION - an exciting conference event at Berkeley's Pacific Film Archive. Members were offered a 15% partner discount to attend and many Members of the Board and of the community were there to take part in this informative event.
- Members also received a 15% discount to attend The Documentary Filmmaking Workshop in October taught by author & filmmaker Andrew Zinnes.
COST OF MEMBERSHIP:
$75 per year for General Members
$50 per year for Student Members
Both Membership Levels include all BAWIFM Membership Benefits including no charge admission to monthly meetings and events – a $120 value for General Members; $96 value for Student Members).
Apply online with our Membership Application